Pepsi research and development expenses
Research & Development expenses of Pepsi 2006-2021.
Amounts in millions.
|Year||R&D expenses (Millions)|
The research and development expenses of Pepsico increased to $752 million in 2021 from $719 million in 2020.
Research and development expenses of Pepsico came down to $680 millions in 2018 from $737 Millions in 2017.
Pepsi's research and development efforts are targeted at:
- developing new ingredients, flavors and products;
- reformulating and improving the quality and appeal of existing products;
- improving and modernizing of manufacturing processes, including cost reduction;
- improving product quality, safety and integrity;
- developing and improving the dispensing equipment, packaging technology (including investments in recycling-focused technologies), package design (including development of sustainable, bio-based packaging) and portion sizes
- Identifying opportunities for transformation and growth of the product portfolio, including developement of products with better nutrition profiles which reduce added sugars, sodium or saturated fat, including use of sweetener alternatives and flavor modifiers and innovation in existing sweeteners, further expanding Pepsi's beyond the bottle portfolio and offering more products with positive nutrition including whole grains, fruits and vegetables, dairy, protein and hydration;
- Investing in building capabilities that support Pepsi's global e-commerce business; and improving energy efficiency and efforts focused on reducing environmental impact.
The research and development centers of Pepsi are located around the world in several countries including in Brazil, China, India, Ireland, Mexico, Russia, the United Kingdom and the United States.